The HHS Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion has released the second edition of the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans.
The second edition is based on the latest scientific evidence that shows that physical activity conveys even more health benefits than previously known. New aspects include discussions of:
- Additional health benefits related to brain health, additional cancer sites, and fall-related injuries;
- Immediate and longer term benefits for how people feel, function, and sleep;
- Further benefits among older adults and people with additional chronic conditions;
- Risks of sedentary behavior and their relationship with physical activity;
- Guidance for preschool children (ages 3 through 5 years);
- Elimination of the requirement for physical activity of adults to occur in bouts of at least 10 minutes; and
- Tested strategies that can be used to get the population more active.
To accompany the updated guidelines, the HHS Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion created the Move Your Way campaign. Move Your Way helps health professionals, national organisations, communities and other stakeholders in physical activity communicate with consumers about the recommendations from the Guidelines.